Saturday, March 5, 2011

Professional Contacts

Part1
This is my first experience reaching out to professionals in early childhood education around the world. I still feel a bit intimidated about reaching out to someone in another country due to differences in language, but I have a feeling that it will be a positive experience in all and will give me a better understanding of ECE programs and organizations conducting care for young children in other areas of the world. I did attempt to contact about 7 professionals listed on the Global Alliance for NAEYC website, including programs in South Africa, Canada, Spain, Ireland, Hungary, and Georgia. However I have yet to hear back from any of them. With that in mind, I began taking a look at the alternate assignment to review and listen to episodes on the World Forum Foundation Radio. After listening to a few episodes, I feel that the information about programs and administrators in various areas is really thorough and provides examples of diversity in ECE. I am looking forward reviewing more episodes in the future.

Part 2
After reviewing the list of ECE websites for this week's assignment, I decided to choose the Zero to Three National Center for Infants, Toddlers, and Families for a few reasons. The first being that the program that I direct supports infants and toddlers, and even through kindergarten and school age as well. Since this young age is such a huge part of what we do, I wanted to become more familiar with organizations that "informs, trains, and supports professionals, policymakers, and parents in their efforts to improve the lives of infants and toddlers" (ZERO TO THREE: National Center for Infants, Toddlers and Families, 2011). Their goals to promote healthy development of infants and toddlers would definitely offer new and beneficial suggestions for our program to consider for the children we serve. In addition, I also chose this site for the personal reason that I will soon become a first-time parent and I think this information could also provide me with some fantastic suggestions for my own child.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin,
    I was really interested in the Zero to Three website as well, but I chose another one to focus on... so I am really interested in hearing what you learn from this resource! I have a 16-month old son and I have used the Zero to Three website a few times before for professional and personal information, I really like it and am looking forward to hearing what your take on it is!
    P/S- Congrats on the little one on the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caitlin
    I was nervous about reaching out because of language barriers also, but I chose SOuth Africa because they speak English. I was fortunate because the person I contacted responded to me the very next day! I was so excited. If you read my blog you will see how it transpired. I think it will be helpful for us to learn about what is going on in Early CHildhood in other parts of our world. I was especially excited when he responded. I am even thinking of visiting the one I am reading about and made contact with. Maybe if I can save money. I;m sure its expensive but I think it would be a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to know that I am not the only one that felt a little nervous about reaching out to other countries. I have not heard back from the countries I reached out to, but will reach more this week. I love that birth to 0-3 website. It is so informative and I have found that the information on that site is current. Great place to start for new parents especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caitlin,
    I am also waiting on getting responses from the professionals that i emailed but after reading your blog , I think i should also go for the second option too . I am really excited about this contact ,though I was nervous when sending the emails too.
    Olufemi.

    ReplyDelete