Sunday, May 20, 2012

Cultural Communication

Considering cultural diversity, I do feel that I communicate differently depending on a person's cultural identity based on characteristics like race, religion, age, sex, orientation, political beliefs, etc. For example, during my family's annual holiday gatherings, my uncle, who I really only see a few times a year, and his girlfriend come into town. Her personality is very strong-willed and she's definitely not afraid to talk about her opinions with anyone, such as her political beliefs, her standpoints on how to raise children, etc. I personally don't need to agree with her viewpoints, but I tend not to begin "small talk" with her because of her argumentative and confrontation nature regarding politics or to raise children is extremely overwhelming. Now that might be more of a personal choice because of an personality clash, but I do also feel I communicate considering others background, knowledge, and culture in how our communication is conducted. I certainly don't mean that I look differently at a person's whose cultural background is unlike my own, but I do want to make sure that I consider personal and cultural differences and how these characteristics might create specific needs.

1 comment:

  1. Caitlin, first time on your blog, cute and I like the blocks.I tend to stray or dont volunteer conversations with individuals who I know can be argumentative in gaterings or otherwise. It can be overwelming.Good that our communication skills is that we are learning know how to handle situations like that.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete