Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Favorite Children's Book


Edward the Emu was a book recently introduced to me by my husband, who teaches Kindergarten right now. Through this story, Edward begins to lose his sense of self when he overhears the zoo visitors say that some of the other animals are really neat. He tries to fit himself into the habitats of the "cool" animals, until someone claims the emu is the best animal at the zoo. He finally returns to his home to realize that he really likes just being himself, Edward the Emu.
This book came to mind a little late, but I thought I'd share it. I liked the sense of self it sends to young and old readers and that it's alright to be yourself. I've also seen the book performed by young theatre students, who did a great job adding a little humor to a good message.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to look for this book next time I go to the library. It sounds adorable and perfect to read to my son! I am all for books that are entertaining AND educational. I hope my son can have a better acceptance of himself than I did and this book sounds like a perfect tool to help with that.

    ReplyDelete