Friday, May 13, 2011

My Personal Research Journey

The topic I chose for the research simulation is the development of fine and gross motor skills in early childhood. Specifically, I would like to reflect more on the following three subtopics: pattern of normal development of fine and gross motor skills for children between the ages of birth to two years, methods of promoting positive muscle growth and skills through types of movement activities in the home and school, and how surroundings and relationships influence developing muscle function during early childhood. Personally, I have a scientific background through my undergraduate studies in college, and I find the growth and development of the human body, especially from such a young age, to be fascinating. Already, I have read through a few professional articles on the topic of how motor skills are best learned, practiced, and refined through early childhood and have grown more interested in finding out more on how this area of early chlidhood development can be applied in my field and program. I have background in researching for projects and papers, but some of the simulation processes is a new experience.
After completing the research chart, which was a new process for me, I feel as if it helped me to organize my thoughts and the information provided. I think it is a great organizational tool when reviewing resources for research. From the Professor Davis’ comments, there were a few areas that I could review again and make changes to for the future. I think I tend to elaborate in certain areas beyond what may be needed - an area of writing I would like to simplify - so this assignment put that idea into perspective for me as I continue my research. If anyone has any suggestions for me regarding the simulation research project, my topic, or resources that have benefited you - please feel free to share!
Caitlin
(Blog 2)

2 comments:

  1. I am very excited to keep up with your blog. Fine motor skills is an excellent topic to research. Fine motor skills are so important and I realize this more and more each day. I work with junior high school kids. I can't help but wonder if these children had better, or more attention on fine motor skills as a child, they wouldn't be struggling as much as they are later in life. Good luck with your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your topic is very intersting. I can't wait to hear about your outcome. I am a second grade teacher and so many of my students have horrible handwriting. I wonder if their fine motor skills had been enforced or they had done more activities that encoraged fine motor skills would their writing have been better. I wish you the best of luck in your simulation.

    ReplyDelete