Saturday, May 21, 2011

Research that Benefits Children and Families: An Uplifting Story

One topic that jogged my memory and interest this past week is the devastating physical and emotional hardship of childhood leakaemia. My husband's aunt, Dr. Patricia Buffler, the Dean of Nursing at the University of California Berkley, has been the head of research on childhood leukaemia and recently found that their are significant benefits to children attending day cares and schools during early years and the prevention of leukaemia. Through Dr. Buffler's interview with BBC News UK, she explains how early exposure to illness and experiencing coughs and colds will actually boosts a young child's immune system against more severe illness, such as leukaemia - a malignant blood disorder (Buffler, 2008). She summarizes that by attending a playgroup, a child's risk of developing one common type of leukaemia is cut by about 30% according to research (Buffler, 2008).
This current research being conducted on childhood leukaemia, that involves children in physical studies, has a great benefit to all those with this childhood illness. By studying the impact of children being involved in playgroups and day care programs, with minimal exposure risk, we can help prevent the bigger risk of such a horrific disease. Dr. Buffler's research at the University of California has certainly provided further insight into this severe childhood illness. 


References
Buffler, Patricia. (Speaker). (2008 April 29). Daycare 'cuts leakaemia risk'. [Interview]. UK: BBC News. Retrieved from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7372568.stm

3 comments:

  1. I have always been confused with parents who try and shield their child for everything. I am not a parent but I do understand that parents try to protect their children as much as possible. However, in my opinion I feel you can shield a child too much and harm them by not allowing them to experience the world. I think it's important to allow children to experience everything a child needs to experience even down to the common colds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know everytime I see a child that is suffering with an illness my heart melts because I am able to see the pain on that childs face when they are not feeling good or even when they feeling okay they still give you that im not 100% look and I wish this would go away.I have to agree with kimberly. Understand parents try to protect their children but at the same time they need to allow them the opportunity to be a child rather they are suffering or not. IF they are interacting and being a child it may keep their mind off of being sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Caitin,
    I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed your posting about leukaemia.l found the research by Dr. Buffler's interesting, and it seems so logical. I think by trying to protect people in general from germs and creating all of this antibacterial products will end up creating these super germs and then nobody will have a strong enough immune system to fight them. Very interesting, thanks!

    ReplyDelete